Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
dave289
Banned

Thumbs up The wall of shame.....

Seems sydneys west has measures to reduce shoplifting.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cctv...-1226036937801

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: The wall of shame.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Seems sydneys west has measures to reduce shoplifting.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cctv...-1226036937801
That is golden. It's amazing the response that comes from 'civil libertarians'...what about the livelihood of the shop?

The police arrest people, the judge then lets them off with a warning...not really a deterrent is it? These guys seem to have the deterrent all set.

If it works, I don't see why not...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I've seen a wall of shame in the newsagency in the Sunshine Plaza on the Sunny Coast. I spent some time staring at it to see if I knew anyone on it.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Thats great! Worth doing...

I love the comment from Cameron Murphy "What they should be doing is calling the police". Yes, thats a great idea. The police come, take a statement and leave... Thats about it.

I think its a great idea "if you do the crime, you do the time"... on the wall of shame.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
That is golden. It's amazing the response that comes from 'civil libertarians'...what about the livelihood of the shop?

The police arrest people, the judge then lets them off with a warning...not really a deterrent is it? These guys seem to have the deterrent all set.

If it works, I don't see why not...
I think the livelihood of the shop is nothing to worry about, honest people would not care less ,they would probably be more inclined to shop there as they know in the long run its this type of practice which would actually save them money, only shoplifters would be the ones not wanting to go there, so its all good in my eyes.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

It would be good if a snap shot of the story was posted along with the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by News.com.au
SUSPECTED shoplifters are being outed by stores posting their mug shots on "walls of shame".
Shop owners who find they have been robbed are sifting back through CCTV footage to identify the thieves and then hanging their images in their windows.

It has proved so effective that some stores have recorded a fall in offences, with some repentant offenders even coming in to pay for the items they have stolen.
I think it is a great idea. Good to see people are going in and paying for items. Nothing like being shamed into something.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

At a certain retailer I used to work for there was a book that was circulated around containing all of the shoplifters in Queensland that have been identified / caught on CCTV.

I wish we could have published them, especially the animal who stole a can of spray paint, then hurled it at our female loss prevention officers head when we gave chase... top bloke...

I'm no law expert, but going by what has happened over the last few years, I'd say this will raise privacy concerns at a minimum, as well as open up avenues for said 'suspects' to then sue for degradation of character, false accusations if no conviction was recorded etc etc.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

If it works then go for it.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" avenues for said 'suspects' to then sue for degradation of character, false accusations if no conviction was recorded etc etc.'

How true. But is it better to die on your feet, or live on your knees ?
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm no law expert, but going by what has happened over the last few years, I'd say this will raise privacy concerns at a minimum, as well as open up avenues for said 'suspects' to then sue for degradation of character, false accusations if no conviction was recorded etc etc.
Actually no... it doesnt. The video proves its true, that they stole things.
So no action can be taken, you can only sue when you show that its false.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate the courts. Over-educated fools so completely out of touch with regular society, they do more harm than good.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Actually no... it doesnt. The video proves its true, that they stole things.
So no action can be taken, you can only sue when you show that its false.
Actually that is not the case, you don't have to prove anything except that you have suffered because of it regardless of guilt.

Fortunately here in Australia you need to cough up about $10k up front to start the action with a good chance that even if you win you will not get costs and basicly lose anyway.

Besides that, the fleas that shoplift usually do not have $10k to start with......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apco servo's here in geelong have been doing it for a yearor so with about 90% success rate of catching the drive away theif

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I like it.. The system dosent work as it is and I think this is a good way to expose the crooks and hopefully embarrise them into cleaning their act up.. Courts are a waste of time and space and $$ for this stuff..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Good on these people for tackling this problem in such a manner, a bit like a few hundred years ago in England using the stocks
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Actually that is not the case, you don't have to prove anything except that you have suffered because of it regardless of guilt.

Fortunately here in Australia you need to cough up about $10k up front to start the action with a good chance that even if you win you will not get costs and basicly lose anyway.

Besides that, the fleas that shoplift usually do not have $10k to start with......

I actually looked this up a while ago due to a matter recently with a grubby neighbour....

23—Defence of justification
It is a defence to the publication of defamatory matter if the defendant proves that the
defamatory imputations carried by the matter of which the plaintiff complains are
substantially true.

You cant be sent to civil court over the matter if true.... otherwise newspapers would be sued more and more (though some deserve it for the dibble they peddle, but libel and slander laws are there to protect only the innocent.)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
zdcol71
zdcol71

There has been one of these at my local bottle-o for years. Don't know if it is for legal reasons or not, but the caption just reads.."do you recognise this person?" There is no accusation or insinuation, but a very clear picture that (given they are sneaking out other than past the register with contraband "almost" neatly concealed) they have been caught, up to no good! It's hilarious in a small community to recognise so many people who would be so stupidas to jepordise their future by doing something so petty.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #18
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll tell you a story. I'm sitting there in my office last night looking at a mugshot photo I printed off back in January. In my other hand, I've got the company official banning notice, I'm looking back and forth at both pieces of paper...

Moments prior, I had just kicked out a shoplifter, the one I caught back in January. I was verbally abused, threatened with being sued for racial prejudice among other things and told I was known for being a hard****, in short on this type of thing within the company. Prior to that idle threats were made on my life and my car.. I take it with a grain of salt, as it's a lot of bull**** talk. But who really needs that stress?

If I call the police on a theft and have the evidence to prove it as such.. nothing gets done. Nothing. Nothing ever comes of it. We take action on these things all the time, and nothing comes of it.

So I'm looking at this banning notice and thinking to myself.. " I'm not going to waste my time, I could issue 40 of these to the same person and they'd still walk through the door like nothing ever happened... I'd call the police, they'd turn up an hour later.. ask for footage and I'd never hear from them again on the subject... I'm just wasting my time. "

But a wall of shame.. thats a fantastic idea.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The chemist next to the Reject Shop in Roselands has been doing this for the last 10 years. Haven't been there for a while now however.

I don't mind the idea personally......... After working in retail for 10 years in Roselands the stuff thieves (and would be thieves) can 'legally' get away with is beyond a joke.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post