Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old Today, 10:15 AM   #1
onemanempire
Sharper than a marble
Donating Member3

Default Council parking fine help: word smiths NEED apply please..

Hi Guys and Girls,
A friend of mine was recently issued a ticket from the local council (Salisbury, South Australia). I parked her car there while I was working on my 2 FG II Ecoboosts in the driveway. (picture of parking offence at end of this post)
I am in the process of fighting it. I am seeking some suggestions on the wording, so I can get this waived.

All of the info below is true and correct. Here is what I have drafted so far. It needs to be dealt with before the 24th of this month.
Thanks in advance guys,

One Man.

============== begin email draft ===============

My name is Jan xxxxxx, I live at 11 xxxx Ave.

I was recently issued with an expiation notice for “Stop on a path, Dividing strip, or Nature Strip” on the 30th July 2024, Expiation notice number: P253849.

I was in hospital at the time of the offence. My date of admission to the Lyell McEwin Hospital was Friday the 5th of July 2024.
I am still in palliative care, currently residing at Lutheran Homes Group Hope Valley.

I wish to explain the circumstances of the parking offence if I may.

I was unable to drive my car at the time the notice was issued, as I was in Hospital.
I was in the process of moving the contents of my garage to my daughters house when I became ill.

My friend offered to help me finish the garage clear out and inadvertently parked my car across the road, not knowing that it was in fact a non parking zone.

There are no signs to state that you may not park on the grass. There is however, a yellow road marking line that indicates you may not park on the road itself, this is accepted as a known
road rule. To the best of my knowledge, my car was only there for a very short time, and caused no-one any interruption or inconvenience, and moreover, posed no safety concerns.

I am truly sorry that this has happened and ask to seek some leniency in this matter, due to the nature and circumstances of the offence.
I am 80 years old and a widowed pensioner, with a very limited if not meagre income. If it was not for the help of my family and friends, I would be in fulltime residential care.

Regards,
Jan.

============== end of email draft ==============

Old Today, 10:35 AM   #2
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Council parking fine help: word smiths NEED apply please..

Sorry to say, but I don't like your chances. The argument you've put forward regarding not knowing the rules is not likely to work. It's your responsibility to know the rules, not the other way around. The fact it's not sign posted is irrelevant. Similarly, the amount of time the vehicle was parked there and the level of impact to others as a result is also irrelevant.

You've got nothing to lose by trying, but based on my past experience, I don't think you will have success. The only hope you have is that you get someone sympathetic to your friends circumstances, but finding someone like that in council by law enforcement is harder than finding a reasonably priced new rwd family sized sedan to purchase!

Good luck. And all the very best to your friend.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 11:57 AM   #3
onemanempire
Sharper than a marble
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
You've got nothing to lose by trying, but based on my past experience, I don't think you will have success. The only hope you have is that you get someone sympathetic to your friends circumstances, but finding someone like that in council by law enforcement is harder than finding a reasonably priced new rwd family sized sedan to purchase!Good luck. And all the very best to your friend.
Thanks for the quick reply Mr.

Hmm, bugga. Was kinda really hoping that was NOT going to be the case... rules etc as that you mentioned. Got to hear a point of view other than my own. I talk to myself when I need expert advice.. lets hope it pays off.

I forgot to mention that the fine is 120 gazoolas.
It's just the principal that s-h-i-t-s me. Money thieving barstards.

Hoping other team members chime in with a copy / template of their success letter(s).

Thanks fella.

One Man.
Old Today, 12:07 PM   #4
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go & see your local council member about it, they are elected to represent the interests of their constituents.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #5
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get rid of the

Quote:
not knowing that it was in fact a non parking zone.
and

Quote:
There are no signs to state that you may not park on the grass. There is however, a yellow road marking line that indicates you may not park on the road itself, this is accepted as a known
road rule.
Every man and his dog knows you cant park on a nature strip because its government land and fines apply... At least I thought it did. But you won't win points on trying to point out an irrelevant technicality as ignorance is no excuse of the law.

And that line I put in bold will really **** them off and make them dig in.

The best way you'll probably help get out of it is plead the compassion angle as you are and put it down to a brain fart due to the rush of doing someone a favour and the emotions tied to the event. Hope that they see issue for what it is and show compassion. You'd also want to include paperwork supporting proof as to where your friend was at the time, letters and admittance documents.

There is also the more morbid angle if I read the situation at written. If someone is in palliative care then just let the thing slide. They may nor be able to collect on the fine if you just let it drag out and the possible inevitable happens.

And I'm not trying to have a dig with the start of this post. I'm with you and probably the majority of Australia. We might not own that strip of land, but we are expected to maintain and care for it with no right to use it. And if we do we get fined for it. Its a massive bunch of BS.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 03:08 PM   #6
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your letter sounds fine, I would definitely give it a go. Maybe say in the letter that the helping friend was from interstate and didn't know the rules.

When I lived in Adelaide I stopped at a shop on the way home (possibly Main North Road?). Can't remember the exact details but it was no parking during PM peak times and had signs saying as much BUT the signs did not denote specific times. I wrote them a letter (with supporting pics) saying I was from WA and I didn't know what times I wasn't allowed to park there. Most places in WA you are allowed to park on verges as long as you don't block driveways/paths/hydrants etc.
I got a letter saying the fine was being cancelled. 2 weeks later the signs were modified to include the specific times the PM bus lane was active.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post