Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default MOMO steering wheels

Hi guys,

Just wondering it anyone knows a little about the leather MOMO steering wheels from the AU Falcons. I've seen quite a few people have fitted these to their EF and ELs. What I need to know is if I purchase one, do I have to get one with the cruise control buttons already fitted? or is it possible to take the ones from my current steering and fit them to the new one?

Also, where would be a good place to get one? I've checked ebay, but I've only seen one or two on there and they wouldn't really suit my interior (grey EL Ghia). I'd love a wheel like the one in John's car.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Ford sell them, but $$ though and the grey and black ones are more $$ than the red and blue ones.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Dont even bother going to Ford for one unless its a dealer stock clearance etc - to give you an idea, the list price on them starts at aroud $1k.

They come without buttons and its very easy to put your existing ones onto the new wheel.

The one John has is a Fairmont Ghia MOMO option, NLA. The best choice for yours apart from that would be a black/grey MOMO but again theyre NLA and you would be very lucky to find one thats for sale in good condition.

The most common ones floating around are the Blue/Black MOMOs which Im sure youve seen before. FTG did have a whole lot of them before but it sounds like theyre getting harder and harder to find.
Old 26-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
it sounds like theyre getting harder and harder to find.
It seems that way. I remember back in the day lots of people buying them for their EF-AUs. There's a new EL GT wheel on ebay, but it's a little bit more than what I'd like to pay.

Autotek have a black wheel with silver inserts. Not sure how it would go with my interior though... Thanks for your help mate ;)

Quote:
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Old 26-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kenaz, not sure if you know but there was an optional Momo wheel for the EF/EL models back in the day that obviously suits the interior perfectly. Only problem is they only came in black (can be re-dyed grey) and are almost impossible to find. Most people don't know this and simply fit either an EL GT wheel, two tone T-series wheel or AU LTD wheel that has a thin strip of 'woodgrain'.

In regards to the Autotek wheel, i've seen/felt one and to be perfectly honest they look pretty ***** and feel too fat (apologies to those who have one :P). If you want a pic of the original EF/EL Momo wheel let me know and i'll post one up.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Sundeep
Banned

I remember when we bought your headlights and a few other times I've been down there, Sam Gould Ford in Lilydale had AUII/III Ghia wheels for about $400 and other sports ones with blue or red inserts for about the same price.

I don't know if they still have them but the parts dept. was getting emptier and emptier down there each time I went, and when I bought my headlight protectors from Knox Ford the guy said they had now closed.

So yeah might want to give 'em a call anywhos.

I reckon Ford dealers can be bargained hardcore. Retail on headlight protectors was apparently $88, got him to trade at $72 then told him he had a deal at $65.

So yeah 25ish% off. Always bargain!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
If you want a pic of the original EF/EL Momo wheel let me know and i'll post one up.
Yes please mate, I'd be really interested to see it. I had no idea you could get them back then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dose
I remember when we bought your headlights and a few other times I've been down there, Sam Gould Ford in Lilydale had AUII/III Ghia wheels for about $400 and other sports ones with blue or red inserts for about the same price.
Yeah mate I remember. I've been back a few times since and I think last time I noticed some blue ones. I'll suss it out this week.

Also, that EL GT wheel on ebay ended up going for over $650 :

Quote:
Old 26-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

ash, just to answer the question....EVERYthing transfers.......buttons, covers, airbags etc everything.
good luck finding a wheel mate...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
PHANTOM XR
PHANTOM

give this place a call, they got a few brand new ones i seen the blue and red ones there but im not sure if they got the grey they were asking about $250. diamond wreckers 03-93571963 in Campbellfield

all u need to buy is just the wheel and u use ur own cruise control buttons and airbag.
Old 26-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #10
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thanks mate, I'll give them a try tomorrow

Quote:
Old 26-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
Yes please mate, I'd be really interested to see it. I had no idea you could get them back then.
Two pics - one bare and the other complete. The cruise buttons sit in their original location between the spokes (the two small holes closest to each spoke).

That wheel is currently at the trimmer getting restored and re-dyed in grey to suit my interior (EFII Fairmont). If i remember correctly this was a $700 option from Ford back in the day! Took me two years to source the bloody thing...
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
PHANTOM XR
PHANTOM

no worries mate, they also have the ef el wheel with the woodgrain at the top and bottom.

this place in sunshine had the ef el momo wheel it is all black and leather but it was second hand, they are choiceford 03 9311 4441 and they wanted around $200 for it.

good luck mate.
Old 27-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #13
Aussie Andy

I recently purchased this AU wheel from Bayfrod for $195 brand new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel.jpg (19.0 KB, 78 views)
Aussie Andy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Andy
I recently purchased this AU wheel from Bayfrod for $195 brand new.
Yeah I've seen those ones mate. That colour wouldn't suit my grey interior though.

Quote: